Well, it’s official – I have tattoos.  Or “tatts” as Ed calls them.  Really!?  For those of you that know me, that’s crazy.  It’s something I would have never done!

So yesterday morning I drove myself to my plastic surgeon’s office.  What a great doctor.  If anyone following my blog needs a plastic surgeon in Atlanta, I’ve got your guy.  Love him.  He is great at what he does and has a fabulous personality.  I met with him briefly before I met the nurse that did the tattooing.  It was a quick meeting to see “his work.”  It had been a while.  Now let me say I am very, very happy with my results.  But, I did have a few questions for him.  There a couple of things that are not perfect in my eyes.  Primarily because I have one radiated breast and one that was not.  Radiation causes the skin to be tight.   Honestly, if you didn’t know any different, you would never notice.  But because I know and stare at them daily, I do.  I told him surgery was not an option and asked if there was any “in the office” type procedures that could make them perfect.  His response was no.  But he insinuated that we could do surgery down the road.  Huh?  Not for a long while for me!  Been there, done that and enough is enough!  But  I am learning that plastic surgeons – or at least mine – is a perfectionist.  I see him in 6 months as a follow-up.  While it is completely my decision, who knows what he will suggest.

So, from there I was introduced to the nurse that would do the tattooing.  She comes into this plastic surgeon’s office once a week.  The other days during the week she works as a nurse at Emory.  After some introductions, we looked at my pre-surgery pictures in my file.  That was from a year ago this summer.  Wow.  I had totally forgotten what my original breasts looked like – before the nasty tumor was removed.  So with those pictures we worked with the colors (or “ink”) she had to make my aureolas and nipples as close to what they used to look like before.   That was my goal.  “Just put me back together the way I was.”  After some “testing” of colors on my skin, we agreed to a plan.  And then she started.  Interesting, she was using the exact same equipment that would be used in a tattoo parlor (but I was in the comfort of a quiet plastic surgeon office).  I didn’t completely know what to expect, but the good news is I didn’t feel much.  Thank goodness!  Once she got started, it felt like a vibration on my skin and sounded like I was at the dentist office (i.e. hearing the drills).  Strangely – but not really – I felt no pain.  The appointment was an hour and a half.  We started at 9:30 a.m. and were done at 11:00 a.m. – and I was on my way.

I have some follow-up instructions I am following.  I won’t go into detail, but surprisingly I haven’t had to take a thing for pain.  I’m fine but just need them to heal!  Interestingly the nurse told me I would not see the true color for 6 weeks.  She also told me over a period of time they will fade and I will be back in again.  Really!?  Will this ever end?  I am constantly reminded this will never be over.  Uugghh.


  1. Mary Johnson says:

    Well, I am thinking the “tatts” are going to have you feeling as close to “normal” as possible, and as Martha Stewart would say ” That’s a good thing”! You continue to constantly amaze me! You are never a quitter, which I believe has gotten you so far in this journey! I continue to be in awe of your continual strength when faced with each and every obstacle of your journey! We keep the prayers going for you daily! You are an inspiration to all! We love you!

    M (and Cliff and Amelia)

Speak Your Mind