Reconstruction of the Ta Ta’s

** we again interrupt regular programming with guest posts from Meredith’s husband

Reconstruction of the Ta Ta’s is complete.  It has been a long road to this point and the journey is not over by a long shot, but hopefully we just endured the last surgery for Meredith.

There was a bit of anxiousness leading up to the surgery.  I suppose this was most apparent when Meredith’s “nesting” instincts kicked in and she decided that the entire house needed to be cleaned the day before surgery.  There was not even a peep out of me – I simply grabbed the windex and got busy.  (Take note men – this is a case of picking your battles wisely).  Honestly I think the worst part for Meredith leading up to the day was the fact that we were going to have to get up at 4:30 AM.  Saying Meredith is not a morning person is probably the greatest understatement in the history of understatements.  So, there wasn’t a ton of sleep had the night before thinking about the laundry list of procedures that Meredith was going to have to go through in the morning.

Here is a list of procedures done by the reconstructive surgeon:

  • replace existing expanders with silicon implants
  • Small lift on left non radiated breast
  • touch up scars from latissumus incisions on back
  • removal of port used for chemo/herceptin treatment
  • Liposuction of fat to smooth out left non radiated breast

Although the liposuction was a last minute addition, you can only imagine how excited Meredith was when she thought she was getting a little tummy tuck (like she needs one).  In reality he was only going to take a small amount (15 cc) from the hip area.  I did offer up some of my “baby” fat, however that was quickly dismissed by both Meredith and the surgeon.  Which is surprising since I am pretty sure I have some high quality lipids.

The only history I have for surgery was Meredith’s double mastectomy which was the longest day of my life physically and emotionally.  If you need a recap of that day you can read the live blogging post here.  So, going into this day I had no idea what to expect but was bracing for another mental roller coaster.  To both of our amazement, we were in and out and home by noon.  WTF?

Here is a brief break down of how the morning went:

5:45 – arrive at Women’s Center and check in

6:00 – Meredith goes back to get prepped for pre-op

6:30 – I get to go back and stay with Meredith

7:20 – Surgeon arrives to mark up Meredith

7:45 – she is rolled back for surgery

10:30 – Surgeon comes out and gives the awesome news that everything went great, the reconstruction looks great and she is in recovery

11:10 – I get to go back and see how she is doing

11:40 – We leave the hospital

12:00 – we pull into our place

Compared to the last surgery, this was over in a snap.  We started texting folks when we were leaving and no one could believe we were already done.  It was very surreal sitting on the couch later that afternoon and reflecting that she had just had breast reconstruction surgery in the morning and was up and walking around now.

I have to note one humorous event.  You could tell that the nurse with Meredith in the recovery room was either new or not used to working recovery.  When Meredith was in recovery and felt good enough to leave, she needed to get dressed.  The nursed placed the bag with Meredith’s clothes in it on her bed and said “here you go”.  Keep in mind that at this point Meredith is still hooked up to about 6 monitors and the blood pressure cuff is still around her arm.  After pointing out said restrictions, the nurse helped remove the leads and then promptly stood there looking at us.  It became apparent that the nurse was not sure about helping Meredith get dressed even though she had just had somewhat major surgery.  So, I stepped in to help get Meredith clothed.  Imagine playing a game of 3-D Twister with someone who can’t move very well – if such a game exists we win.

She is very glad to be home and done with this part of the journey.  She is a little sore and very tired but looks fantastic.  She is a true inspiration and Rock Star.

We have said this many times, but it bears repeating – We could not have gotten through any of this with out the love and support of our family and friends both near and far.  We are truly blessed to be is such great company.  Thank you again to everyone.  I will keep everyone posted on her recovery until she kicks me off the blog and takes over.


  1. Jacque Maher says:

    Hello guys. You are in our hearts and minds. We miss you so much. Glad everything went so well! Don’t know when we will see you again, but we think and talk about you often. Take care and hugs, kisses, and lots of love to the three of you!

    Jacque & Maurice Maher

  2. Jamie Lilly Mullis says:

    Wow! So moving to read. I’m so glad that the surgery went as smoothly as it did. Another major milestone on this journey. Hope the healing goes well. Eddie – continue taking great care of her. I know you didn’t sign up for this role, but you both are a heroes and an inspiration. It’s because you continue to fight and with each battle you grow stronger.
    My heart goes out to you both.

  3. Melissa Bryson says:

    Amazing! So glad this part of the journey is complete. It really is too bad that there is not a ‘donation’ excuse for lipo. It would be great to feel as good about that as giving blood!! Talk to you both soon!

  4. Grandma loved your post Ed. (So did I)

Speak Your Mind